Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Finished the 'Fundamentals' part of 'jQuery Fundamentals'

I have read 'jQuery fundamentals' over the last two days. It is a great book for people looking to get started with jQuery. I was in no hurry while reading and it just took me around 6 hours to finish the 'basics' part of the book.

The target audience is beginners. The writing is to-the-point examples are all very good. There are introductions to new concepts that are not strictly jQuery wherever required. There are exercises at the end of some chapters which showed what's possible with the basic knowledge acquired in those chapters. They guide us through making some very popular scripts like drop-down navigation menus, photo slideshows, tabbed navigation, hints in text-boxes etc.. There is a chapter on Ajax and some advanced stuff towards the end but I have left it for later.

I was not able to concentrate at times. It was like this xkcd comic. I have found that switching off the wireless router has wonderful effects on productivity. I have also enabled the no-procrast thing on HackerNews hoping that it will help me focus. It has worked till now though there is a temptation to delete cookies or open it in a different browser. More jQuery and Lisp ahead. Need to play with Ajax on App Engine as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment