Monday, November 15, 2010

DOM and some VIM

DOM is not a new topic for me, but I have never cared enough to study it properly. I have started that process now. After all, it is the most important use of JavaScript for now and it is what made JavaScript popular. 'Eloquent Javascript' gave a gentle introduction to the topic. I am planning to read the guide at MDN too. Then, I will dive into jQuery to play around. Ajax is one of the topics I still do not understand properly at a level I will like to. Need to spend some time on that too.

I moved to the next vim casts which were about basic editing. I have been using most of these commands for a very long time. There were some new things there. I have almost never used the visual mode. Using visual mode block-wise was fantastic. I thought previously that yanking and pasting in vim suck because they were only to edit complete lines, but I immediately understood how foolish I was. It should have come to me earlier, if I had ever experimented a bit with them (we can use yw to yank a word etc. and p to paste/put after and P to paste/put before).

There is a lot to be done and many fun-filled days ahead. I am happy that the sabbatical is working out quite well and hopefully keep it short. I can't wait to get into action and solve some complex problems. There is always the opportunity to create something on my own anyway. I should get hosting space and a custom domain, but I will worry about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment