Monday, November 8, 2010

A bad start to a day spoils it.

Today, I have learned an important lesson. It's not a lesson just in programming or productivity alone. It's an important one in both and a lot more - A day that starts bad has disappointment written all over it. After what happened today, I have decided to start all my coming days with the most important task at hand. There needs to be an end to the childish dragging that happens between waking up and taking bath. Alas! I have been talking about avoiding bad starts, but it is important to have a good start too.

The fact that it all happened after reading articles about productivity from PG and SwaroopH is more depressing for me. As PG mentioned, Internet is the new TV and it's difficult to escape with it being finger-tips away. In the beginning of my sabbatical, I had a resolution to connect to the WWW only for 30 minutes before I write my dairy and sleep. I somehow didn't maintain that and I am finding myself in this situation now. I often fail the tests of self-control but my regrets are more painful these days.
Regret for wasted time is more wasted time.  ~Mason Cooley
SICP was taking too much of my time, but I thought it was worth it. I need to contemplate my plans regarding SICP though. The learning is going very slowly and I think it can wait. I have hit a block with GAE because of the lack of Javascript and Ajax knowledge. I need to spend more time developing because I agree with all those experienced hackers who say that it's the best way to learn more. Learning from a book is important, but it will take you only so far. How will you explore more, if you don't know what you need?

Apart from the life lesson, I have read this wonderful article Why, oh WHY, do those #?@! nutheads use vi? by the creator of ViEmu. I have watched a few more of Derek Wyatt's vimcasts. I wish to start reading Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows (a gap of 2.5 years after the 6th) and finish reading before the movie releases on 19th. The first six books were immensely enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment