Thursday, December 9, 2010

Continued reading JavaScript Cookbook

The next 3 chapters in the cookbook were about Functions, Events and Browser objects. Most of the recipes were pretty basic but I still read through each of them for the sake of repetition. Three chapters is less than what I have aimed for in the morning, but it's ok. Many recipes talked about cross-browser compatibility etc. while mentioning that most of the JavaScript libraries take care of most incompatibilities. Maintaining the state within page using location object's hash property was new stuff for me.

After a long period of inactivity on StackOverflow (I have been learning a lot of stuff, but never questioned or answered), I have asked a question today. It was about currying in JavaScript. A snippet I posted was not behaving as I expected. It was because I forgot to put a return before a statement. I felt stupid and the guys who answered reassured that it happened with everybody. One commenter mentioned that currying was not the same as partial application. I read about it and this is one kind of hidden benefit from participating in communities like SO. I think I should keep spending some time in StackOverflow.

Having many ideas in mind, but not knowing which is worth executing is painful. I know that I need to prototype but I don't know what's stopping me from taking that step. Anyway, getting up to speed in the technologies I am going to use will be a good intermediate step.

No comments:

Post a Comment